Thursday, April 22, 2010

We're Having a Baby!

It is hard to believe we have made it 40 weeks. As I've said over and over this pregnancy has been such a blessing in so many ways. It's hard to believe the time has come for us to meet this little bundle of joy. There were times that it seemed the pregnancy was flying by, but these last three months have dragged. We have been so busy preparing for Evy's arrival and the time is finally here...and we are so excited to meet our Love Bug.

We checked into the hospital on Monday night to begin inducing labor.

I think I have been in denial about what was going to happen at the hospital. So when we walked in I began to feel anxious. I hate needles, never had an IV, and hate pain. Yet, here I was, in a hospital bed, about to experience all of this. I don't know if Chad or my parents were aware of my anxiety, but inside I was so afraid of the pain. In the end, whatever pain there was, it was all worth it. Labor was pretty uneventful until I was dilated to a 5 or 6 and had just received the epidural. The nurses had me laying on my back and all of a sudden the machines started beeping, the nurse was calling other nurses in the room (about 5 or 6 came running in), and they began to turn me on my side. After all this happened they finally told us Evy's heartbeat dropped significantly and quickly. They stopped the pitocin and contractions until her heartbeat stabilized. After about an hour they began the pitocin again and pretty soon I was dilated to a 10. There was just a little bit of my cervix that needed to soften before they would allow me to begin pushing. So we waited...and waited...and waited. We thought (and were placing bets) that Evy would be born by late afternoon. But, she had another plan in mind. I wasn't allowed to begin pushing until 9:00 pm. I pushed a few times but my cervix just wasn't ready for delivery. So we waited for a while longer. After almost 30 hours of labor and 2 hours of pushing, the doctor said Evy was just not decending enough. By this time it was 1:30 am. The doctor told me I could keep pushing for another hour but the liklihood of delivering her naturally was very slim. I asked to push until 2:00 am, but what I think I needed more than just wanting to push was to process the idea of a C-section for a few minutes before making that decision. After a few more pushes I was exhausted and ready for Evy to be in my arms. I asked the nurse if I was making any progress or if Evy was under stress and the nurse told me her head was beginning to swell. So I told her to get the doctor, I was ready for the C-section. At 2:37 am Evy was born and it was a wonderful feeling knowing she was here and was healthy.

What a blessing it was to meet our Love Bug. It was a few hours before I was able to hold her but it was well worth the wait.

We are so thrilled to have Evy in our lives and can't wait to share our life with you!

Evy Lynn Davis April 21, 2010 2:37 am 8 pounds 1 ounce 19.5 inches long

1 comment:

  1. Steph, looking at the pictures brings a smile to my face. Your pregnancy and Evy's birth have been two of my greatest joys. It has been a blessing sharing this time with you and Chad. Our family just keeps getting sweeter. Four wonderful grandchildren -- doesn't get any better than that!

    ReplyDelete